Tips on how to save water
March 25, 2021
Water is a natural resource that is essential for human life. It seems to be an endless source, but only 0.007% of the water on Earth is suitable for human consumption. That is why it is so important to regulate its use, and from home, to be able to manage it in a more responsible way.
At Inmobiliaria Espígul we would like to give you some tips on how to save water and avoid wasting it. The objectives are clear: to be responsible with the environment and also to be able to reduce the amount of the water bill.
- Turn off the tap when you are not using it. This is probably the most obvious tip, but it is also the one we find most difficult to put into practice. This simple gesture can help us save 5 to 20 litres of water per minute.
- Make sure your taps turn off properly and do not leak. A dripping tap can lose up to 30 litres of water a day. It is also a good idea to replace traditional taps with mixer taps.
- Check the installations. Avoiding leaks is the best way to avoid wasting water, that is why it is necessary to check the installations and carry out good maintenance to keep them in the best conditions.
How to save water in the kitchen
- If you wash dishes by hand, turn on the tap only when you need to wash them, not when you are soaping them. If you use the dishwasher, remember to run it only when it is full.
- Wash fruit and vegetables in a bowl of water, not under running water. Do the same for foods you want to defrost.
- Use energy-efficient appliances (class A is a good option), which can save up to 12,000 litres of water on average in a year.
How to save water in the bathroom
- Take a shower instead of a bath. It takes about 260 litres of water to fill a standard bathtub, but a 5-minute shower can take between 50 and 80 litres. A 5-minute shower can use between 50 and 80 litres. The difference is clear, isn’t it?
- Adjust the toilet cistern. Try to make sure it has a dual flush so you can decide how much water you want to use without having to empty the whole cistern each time. Also check that it does not have any leaks, as this can result in a very high water consumption.
- Take advantage of the water that falls from the shower while you wait for it to come out hot. You can put it in a container and save it for other activities such as watering plants or mopping the floor.
- Remember: the toilet is not a wastepaper basket. Every time you flush the toilet you waste between 6 and 10 litres of water. This is totally unnecessary and at the same time it harms marine flora and fauna.
How to save water in the garden
- Try watering plants early in the morning or in the evening. Avoid watering plants during the strongest sunlight hours so that water does not evaporate as quickly. It is also a good option to use automatic watering systems.
- If you have a swimming pool, avoid filling it every year. With the necessary maintenance, the water can be in perfect condition from one year to the next and can be reused.
- Clean the terrace/garden with a broom rather than a hose whenever possible.
Being able to save water is much easier than we think, we just have to be aware of the habits we have created regarding the use of water and change them for small gestures that help us to reduce water consumption.
At Inmobiliaria Espígul we want us all to be aware of these small acts that benefit both the home and the environment.
Espígul is your trusted real estate agency in Girona, we have a service of buying and selling properties, renting properties and also a builder of new build flats in Girona and the surrounding area. If you have any questions you can contact us at email@example.com or call us on 972 220 110.