How can you prepare your flat for renting to students?
July 22, 2021
The advantages of renting student flats in Girona and its surroundings:
- High demand for this type of rental in university cities. It is also a cyclical process, as new students are always arriving.
- Guaranteed payments, as the parents are usually guarantors in the contract.
- The contract is usually temporary, so you can have your flat available more quickly.
- And last but not least… Renting to students (between 18 and 30 years old) also provides tax advantages in the income tax declaration.
If you have a flat available for rent in Girona and you want to rent it to students, at Immobiliaria Espígul we can help you find the best candidates and do it with an easy, fast and 100% advised process for our professionals.
In the meantime, what you can do is to make your flat more attractive to rent. Here we explain it to you.
How can you prepare your student rental flat?
This will be the space where they will meet and spend time together to talk, eat, watch Netflix series… You can choose to put a folding table that allows them to eat together and also put extra folding chairs in case there are guests. A sofa and a piece of furniture for the TV and that’s it!
If the dining room is not very big, you can put a small sofa and pouffes next to it so that everyone can sit together. This is a practical and economical option. We also recommend that the furniture be functional and made of materials that are easy to maintain and clean.
Opt for a very basic and neutral decoration, this will allow the future tenants to have the possibility to decorate it as they wish and feel at home from the first day.
The kitchen is an important space in a student flat, it is normally essential that it is well equipped with pots, pans and their respective appliances, this will prevent the moves from being too big and will facilitate the tenants’ decision to rent your flat.
A point in your favour is that the flat is equipped with a dishwasher, as this will save them a lot of time washing the dishes, but in case it is not possible, you can compensate with another appliance that can make the difference with the rest of the flats.
Bedrooms are another key room when renting a student flat. It is where they will spend most of their time and where they will carry out the most important task: studying. That is why it is important that they can have:
- A desk and chair
- Sufficient light. The ideal is natural light, but if not, it can be combined with general light and an auxiliary light.
- Shelves to store your personal belongings.
- A wardrobe or a stand to hang clothes.
Immobiliaria Espígul offers you four tips to take into account:
- It may be that some students want to rent the flat only during the months of the university year (September-June) or they ask for a price reduction during the summer months. This is a variable to take into account.
- Specify what will happen in case of possible incidents such as broken furniture, pets and animals.
- It is advisable to enclose with the contract photos of the initial state of the flat and an inventory of the objects, furniture and electrical appliances. This will facilitate the work at the time of the inspection when the flat has to be handed over.
- As far as the deposit is concerned, it is advisable that it does not exceed 2 months’ rent, as this initial investment may cause tenants to hesitate in their decision.
And the final point: the rental contract:
Everything in writing. For a good relationship between the landlord and the future tenants, it is essential to draw up a rental contract in which all the rights and duties of both parties are written down.
The contract must list all the people who will be living in the flat. An inventory of everything in the property must also be made in order to be able to objectively assess the return of the security deposit.
It is advisable to put down a deposit to cover possible damages that may be caused in the property. It is usual to be able to ask for between one and two months of deposit corresponding to the price of the monthly payment.
Following the above recommendations can be of great importance for the rental of your student flat to be a success. At Immobiliaria Espígul we like to accompany you throughout the whole process of renting your property. Do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com or you can call us on 972 220 110.